7 Tips on Getting into Digital Marketing
Posted by: Juri
Published: Wednesday, December 7th, 2011
With digital marketing continuing to grow and evolve as a discipline, there are lots of opportunities to carve out a successful career as a digital marketing specialist – But how do you get into it?
Follow our tips to get started…
1. Gaining marketing qualifications are obviously a good place to start but by no means the only way to get into marketing. If you don’t have marketing qualifications you will most likely need to start at a small company or take a non-marketing role at a larger company and work your way across.
2. During your studies do a couple of internships at different types of marketing agencies or within marketing teams at other organisations. (Don’t worry if they are not exactly what you want to do, because you never know who your boss might know and if you do a great job and show potential he/she might put a good word in). Another positive outcome of doing an internship is that you might realise that you actually like certain jobs you hadn’t even thought of.
3. Social networking events are great opportunities to not only meet potential employers but also gain insight into what issues marketing professionals are facing. You’ll be able to pick up tips and build knowledge that will be very useful when it comes to interviews. For example, learning how marketing professionals are trying to figure out how to solve certain problems. A great site for finding networking events is meetup.com, sign up and click your interest areas and attend 2-3 networking events a month).
4. This is a major tip – Read up on as much relevant information as possible. If you want to get into marketing you have to know about anything and everything. Current news, technological innovations, latest gadgets, latest updates on Facebook’s privacy issues etc. When you think you have read so much information that you are the smartest person ever, that is when you’ve reached a stage where ALL your peers are at. Harsh, but that’s how it is.
When you get to the interview stage, the next step is for your personality to shine through. Yes, that’s right- you have to leave a memorable and lasting positive impression. That doesn’t mean wearing a crazy hat or bright orange shoes, but more that you have to show how you differ from the grey mass of candidates by demonstrating your character and passion for digital marketing. Remember that your knowledge and experience in digital marketing is only part of what an empployer is looking for, they also want to find out what you would be like to work with. If the interviewer gets a good vibe off you, then you might get hired.
5. A great way to demonstrate your passion for digital is to weave it into the context of your other interests. For example, think about the things you like (be it obscure fashion designers, early hip hop artists, or surrealist painters) and explain how digital technologies help you explore those interests, for example when discovering new designers, music artists etc. Using a wider context to explain your interst in digital marketing will help you stand out from the crowd.
Don’t be afraid to be different, otherwise you will just be yet another candidate to go through. This is not school any more, where you might have been ridiculed for being different. The tables have turned!
6. In our previous blog posts we have mentioned that it’s also useful to seek out companies that you would love to work for and contact them directly or even pop into their offices with your CV and introduce yourself. If you leave a good impression, showing your enthusiasm and knowledge it might get your foot in the door. Entry level positions aren’t always advertised and it might be your lucky day!
7. Another good tip is to actively participate in Linkedin discussions to get your name out there. Here are our tips for setting up a great LinkedIn profile, and this article will explain how to get involved in discussions.
Get tips on how to impress an employer